Novak Djokovic walked onto centre court at the Italian Open on Friday for his first match in two months, lost a set 2-6, had his right shoulder visibly taped when he changed shirts, and went out 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 to a 79th-ranked Croatian qualifier named Dino Prizmic. Prizmic is 20 years old. Djokovic is 38. The gap in Grand Slam titles between them is 24 to 0.
The defeat itself is a headline. What Djokovic said afterward is the real story.
'Late half a step'
"Obviously I see what I'm missing," he told reporters in Rome. "Late half a step. I'm not definitely where I want to be for the highest level and to compete at the highest level and to be able to get far."
Asked directly whether he felt confident of being ready for the French Open, which begins May 24, Djokovic replied: "I don't know. I hope so."
For a player whose public register for a decade has been near-pathological self-belief — the man who declared himself the greatest of all time on court after winning his 24th Slam — "I don't know" is not a throwaway line. It is a registered concession.
The shoulder, the schedule, the arithmetic
Djokovic hadn't played since losing to Britain's Jack Draper in the fourth round at Indian Wells in March. That loss was followed by two months of treatment on his right shoulder. Between Indian Wells and Rome, his only competitive result in 2026 is a run to the Australian Open final, where Carlos Alcaraz beat him in straight sets.
That leaves him with a single match — this one, a loss — on clay before the year's second Grand Slam. The six-time Rome champion did not enter Madrid. He looked sharp in the opening set on Friday, then began glancing at his team at the start of the second, and by the third he was flat-footed.
"He's my idol," Prizmic said afterward. "I just played unbelievably today." It was probably true. It was also true that Prizmic had already taken down No. 6 Ben Shelton to reach the third round in Madrid last month. The 20-year-old is not a fluke.
Elsewhere in the draw
Second-seeded Alexander Zverev, still smarting from the 6-3, 6-4 beating Jannik Sinner gave him in the Madrid final last weekend, recovered to beat fellow German Daniel Altmaier 7-5, 6-3. Australia's Alex de Minaur was upset by Italian Matteo Arnaldi. The top of the men's draw is suddenly more crowded than it has been in a decade, with Alcaraz, Sinner, and Zverev all holding credible claims to Paris.
Our take
Djokovic has lost first matches before and come back to win Slams. He did it most recently at Roland Garros 2023. But this was not a first-match rustiness loss — it was a player who could not trust his body over three sets, and who admitted it in open court. If he cannot find another level in ten days, the Djokovic era at the French Open ends not with a final against Alcaraz but with a third-round exit to a name the general public hasn't learned yet.




